Welcome to takeourpowerback.net.
This site is all about taking a fresh perspective on the fundamental issues that affect society in the UK today.
A paradigm can be described as the set of experiences, beliefs and values that affect the way an individual perceives reality and responds to that perception. Social scientists have adopted the Kuhnian phrase “paradigm shift” to denote a change in how a given society goes about organizing and understanding reality. A “dominant paradigm” refers to the values, or system of thought, in a society that is most standard and widely held at a given time. Dominant paradigms are shaped by both the community’s cultural background and by the context of the historical moment. The following are conditions that facilitate a system of thought to become an accepted dominant paradigm:
- Professional organizations that give legitimacy to the paradigm.
- Dynamic leaders who introduce and purport the paradigm.
- Journals and editors who write about the system of thought. They both disseminate the information essential to the paradigm and give the paradigm legitimacy.
- Government agencies who give credence to the paradigm.
- Educators who propagate the paradigm’s ideas by teaching it to students.
- Conferences conducted that are devoted to discussing ideas central to the paradigm.
- Media coverage.
- Lay groups, or groups based around the concerns of lay persons, that embrace the beliefs central to the paradigm.
- Sources of funding to further research on the paradigm.
On this site I will address the issue of changing accepted paradigms; the process popularly known as “paradigm shift“. These broad shifts in the social arena, in turn, change the way the individual perceives reality.
The views contained herein are entirely my own. Feel free to comment, discuss and debate but please do not get personally abusive with your fellow humans.
I reserve the right to moderate and remove all comments made on this site
Have fun, be nice to each other and lets change those paradigms!